Monday, April 13, 2009

MIC ON MONDAY!!! CHECK Yo'Self...


It’s been a long time…
since we left you…
without a dope beat to step to…


Good day, AUTHENTIC!


I apologize for my recent shamtasticness, however, I’ve had an icky aka cold/flu/ -- utter nastiness. Please forgive me. Pretty, pretty please? I’m on bended knee. Actually, I’m chillin’ curled up on a body pillow in my boo’s room. Nice visual, eh?

Now, down to business. This past Sunday was Easter, & whether you dig religion or not, it’s a symbol of rebirth & reinvention. It’s a time to celebrate Jesus & how he rose from the dead to dye candy-filled eggs laid by bunny rabbits in order to save us from a horrid, sinful existence in a world of primary colors, thus yielding pastels & very happy gay men with a flare for the fantastic & a love for fashion & cute handkerchiefs. This Sunday school lesson has been brought to you by the letter A & the number 2. Be blessed, my chirren! (Disclaimer: If you found any of the aforementioned statement funny, you will go to the hell.)

The term “spring cleaning” not only applies to one’s attic or closet, but also to one’s life. Dead weight friends, unhealthy habits, negative thinking, counter-productive work ethic -- must all go…much like Macy’s post-Christmas holiday discount sale. SIDENOTE: I like cute clothes. (hint) I can fit a 3/4 in Lucky Brand jeans & my shoe size is an 11 or 12 depending on the make of the shoe. (double hint).

My spectacular physique aside, Mother Universe on this day has offered us a new start with the ushering in of spring. It is your responsibility to your health & wellness -- & ultimately, your humanity -- to take full advantage of this chance of rebirth. I prefer self-evaluation to start my rebirth process; however, that does not mean that my external evaluation is not to take place simultaneously. Ask yourself some key questions:

1. When was the last time I smiled? Why?
2. When was the last time I cried? Why?
3. What do I want for my life right now (my present goals)?
4. What do I want for my life tomorrow (my future goals)?
5. What has my past taught me?
6. What answers am I still searching for?
7. What is my purpose in its purest/simplest form?
8. What would I like to improve physically? Why?
9. What do I like about myself physically? Internally?
10.How do I recognize my worth from day to day?

No, you may not look like Beyonce, or Halle, or me when you complete your tasks. Nor will you immediately find your inner Oprah or Gandhi; but you’ll begin to notice your fledgling source of inner peace & self-worth & beauty that may have gone unacknowledged during the rigors of winter.

Check in with yourself & you’ll appreciate the pearls you’ll find that exist in the treasure chest you call you.

A friend/play cousin told me this morning that there’s no reason to hang your head. At this very moment, there are people hard at work trying to steal your joy. Don’t let them. It is your choice.

It is our choice to improve ourselves, appreciate ourselves, & to encourage ourselves to be our best & most AUTHENTIC selves.

Get up.
Get life.
Get AUTHENTIC.

mikey loves you, baby



P.S. This is so abrasive...but, you feel me, right?







No comments: