Sunday, January 4, 2009

The Happiness Chronicles: Par Deux

Happy 2009, AUTHENTIC!

Well, happy may not be the term to use. As I mentioned last week, I was unable to answer a really important question: Am I happy? In the spirit of new beginnings and New Year's resolutions, it's important to me to be able to claim my happiness, or at least develop a plan of action that will place me on the road to happiness. I was making my rounds for New Year's Eve day (the pre-cursor to a night of debauchery that I'll save for another day's discussion) and in speaking with my friends and family, I was surprised and, unfortunately, comforted in knowing that they, too, are suffering from this absence of happiness. Now, do not misconstrue my intentions. I do not enjoy people being unhappy or negative. Rather, these revelations served as a wake-up call to me: why are we not happy or if we are happy, why can we not readily locate it? Seriously, where is Happiness? Why is she M.I.A.?

Now, I do believe that all change begins with oneself. Therefore, after mini-wrap sessions with the fam, I realized that I needed to start off 2009 dedicating the better part of my energy to being happy and maintaining my happiness. I'm a control freak and I'm addicted to Post-it Notes. So, while waiting at the barber shop one day, a bored Friday morning doodle gave way my focus for the next 365 days. It's tentative, as all things are, but I'd like to share it with you.

For 2009 my Post-it Note says that I am

1. maintaining my happiness at all costs
2. nurturing my talents...on the daily
3. focusing on servitude within my community, both locally and globally
4. And lastly, but never least, being flyy like only I can be (this includes, but is not limited to, eliminating posers, unmasking truth, and seeking the positive.)


Simple enough, eh?

We are the means to an end. The end being our happiness. January is the start of a twelve month cycle in which we can enrich and enjoy ourselves or continue to exist as drab, empty shells held together with inconsistent labels, yet cracking under the pressures of society's weak sense of the normal or the right or the traditional. I don't know your various stories, but one thing of that I am sure is if we continue to let Happiness pass us by without us acknowledging her or simply checking in with her from time to time, we have no one to blame but ourselves for the gray days ahead.

Choose happiness.

See you next week when we'll discuss Happiness Pt. 3: Cleaning out your Friendship Closet aka The Hater Be-Gone edition.

mic aka the envy of the world

2 comments:

Kholi said...

For 2009 my Post-it Note says that I am

1. maintaining my happiness at all costs
2. nurturing my talents...on the daily
3. focusing on servitude within my community, both locally and globally
4. And lastly, but never least, being flyy like only I can be (this includes, but is not limited to, eliminating posers, unmasking truth, and seeking the positive.)


--- I freakin' Love this! I think the ENTIRE AUTHENTIC staff should have it!

Anonymous said...

Seriously...must you enable me?

Thanx:)