Sunday, March 8, 2009

Mic on Monday: A Women's Worth


When do you tell a sistafriend that she's falling short of her greatness?

We are almost 1/4 of the way through 2009, and some of us are feeling the weight of our New Year's resolutions. Some of us cheat and eat that extra piece of cheesecake and convince ourselves that Summer is still six months away. Some of us put off calling that old friend thinking that they won't notice you both haven't spoke in months...or years. Some of us haven't told that special someone "I'm sorry," or that they're special. Some of us haven't stopped to appreciate ourselves. Said, "I love me."

Thus, my reason for today's post: this weekend one of my sistafriends received word that her relationship with her boyfriend was over - via text message! As asinine a gesture as this is, my frustration arose because she felt that she deserved this treatment. She's two months away from her Master's degree, beautiful, intelligent, she knows me, [Insert more great adjectives HERE.], so chick is the bomb circa 1995 with all the bells and whistles of the 21st century. Sadly, she has since opted to wait for him to realize that he loves her.

Why?

I am clueless. I've found that this is not uncommon for many of my girls, especially my minority chicks. And with the recent upsettedness that is Rihanna vs. Chris Brown vs. the Media, I find it peculiar that women who, in my opinion, are one step away from ruling the world, have this mindset that they deserve less than their worth when it comes to their romantic life.

Ladies of AUTHENTIC, when do you tell your sistafriend that she's living below her means? In other words, what do you do, what do you say when your girl is cheapening herself and denying her greatness?



get up.
get real.
get AUTHENTIC.

m./e

No comments: