Monday, February 23, 2009

Mic on Monday: Girl Trouble!


Good day, AUTHENTIC! I apologize for my lapse in posting last week, but Life called, and when I answered the phone she had some very good news for me. That aside, I have a confession to make:


I got girl trouble. It's serious.


Now, I know those of you who know me are trying to rationalize how I can have girl trouble; but, I promise, this time it's mad serious. Check this out.

It is the last Monday of February 2009 and I know that some of you may be asking yourself “where were the obligatory Black History Month posts?” I was having a conversation with a mix of friends this weekend and someone stated that after Obama’s election to the White House, Black History Month seems a thing of the past. The speaker stated that she felt that BHM was important and that it was instituted so that America could realize and acknowledge Black people’s contributions to our country. Since Barack Obama is now President of the United States of America, the goal of BHM has been attained & therefore the month is no longer needed. Now, I found many areas of concern with her logic, but I can’t really include the full or abridged conversation here because I’m not sure that we’ve agreed to abandon this discussion just yet.


I will, however, leave you with what I believe is her main argument:

Barack Obama’s election to the White House signifies the end of the plight of black people. The African Diaspora officially has equal footing in the world and can now enjoy all the rights and privileges of mainstream American society and the greater global community. Basically, blacks no longer need Black History Month because we’re the same as everyone else.

And here’s why I’m not sure the conversation is finished.


I asked her
“If Hillary Clinton won the Presidency, would all of women’s problems be fixed and all women’s works be recognized, creating equal footing for the female gender?”


She has yet to answer.

Was I wrong to pose such an inquiry? Is her logic incorrect? Is my unsettledness due to her being a twenty-something black college student who aligns Beyonce’s female proclamations and calls for dope boys (read Destiny Child’s “Soldier” lyrics) with Nina Simone and Lena Horne’s artistry and political involvement? Or am I really upset because her peasant blouse and skinny jeans with Reebok’s and an “I Heart Black People” hoodie were an affront to the surrounding aesthetic? Help me out, AUTHENTIC. I need answers. Those of the female persuasion.

Whatever the case, get real. Get lifted. Get AUTHENTIC. Happy Monday!

mic

No comments: