Thursday, February 12, 2009

WORD OF WISDOM

So ... I know it's not Wednesday ... but I NEEDED a word of WISDOM ... ANYWAYS (and ya ... sometimes its hard to get to the computer to blog while in transit from Harlem to NJ ... SUE ME).

(mm. i apologize for that ... it's one of those days, ladies.)

anyways ... our WORD OF WISDOM comes from none other than?!?


Judith Jamison was appointed Artistic Director of Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater in December 1989 at the request of her mentor, Alvin Ailey, who personally chose her to succeed him before his untimely death. A native of Philadelphia, she studied with Marion Cuyjet, was discovered by Agnes de Mille and made her New York debut with American Ballet Theatre in 1964. She became a member of the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater in 1965 and danced with the company for 15 years to great acclaim. Recognizing her extraordinary talent, Mr. Ailey created some of his most enduring roles for her, most notably the tour de force solo, Cry.

After leaving the Company in 1980, Ms. Jamison appeared as a guest artist with ballet companies all over the world and starred in the hit Broadway musical Sophisticated Ladies. In 1988, she formed her own company, The Jamison Project; a PBS special depicting her creative process, Judith Jamison: The Dancemaker, aired nationally the same year.


I could go onnnn and onnn and onnnn... about her ... but what's important ... is what she has to say to us today ...



“Once you've danced, you always dance. You can't deny the gifts that God sends your way.”


and boyyyy, is this true. honestly chicks, today is one of those days i find myself tired ... wondering whether what i'm doing is even DOING anything ... whether i should throw it in.


But I already know that answer ... I can never stop being AUTHENTIC ... it's in my blood. NEVER stop writing ... I'd stop breathing ... NEVER stop critically thinking and appreciating the world around me ... I have no investment in suicide.


Be you, beauties. At your best always.

Love you.



oh ya! click HERE for HAPPINESS!


2 comments:

Healingprose said...

Ah, I needed this today. Writing is the breath of life and I'm going to keep on living.

I'm sure what you're feeling is my fatigue tenfold. Go on and get that PhD!

Anonymous said...

You never stop dancing. This is so true. My dad still sees me as his quirky dancing son, regardless of how much schooling and degrees I will acquire. I can't say that I see myself any differently either.

P.S. I love you DR. KHOLI!