Monday, May 4, 2009

Sorry Seems to be the Hardest Word

“I’m sorry.” It’s amazing how much hurt or pain or frustration or anger is lifted off one’s shoulders when this statement is offered up as a personal sacrifice and a balm used to ease a bruised ego or upset heart. When was the last time you told someone that you were sorry, that you apologize for harming their well-being? I am always surprised at how easy it is for us to say “I’m sorry” in the day-to-day happenings such as when we forget to return a pen or paperclip to a co-worker that we borrowed from their desk. Or when we interrupt someone’s conversation. Or when we take a bit too much time at the McDonald’s drive-thru trying to find the exact change for your Southern Style Chicken Sandwich with extra pickles & and large Triple Thick Vanilla Milk Shake.*
Nevertheless, such trivial episodes in our lives for whatever reason elicit this weighty statement. However, when we hurt someone, whether intentionally or not, we seem to lose the capacity to issue this statement that is otherwise so easy to say. Why is it that the moments in which our whole being should submit an apology, we choke?

“I’m sorry” has saved friendships, relationships, and families. It’s yielded perspective and alternatives during situations where neither party wanted to compromise. It’s enabled our common humanity in times of war and chaos. It’s initiated dialogue between various peoples & nations. It’s ended arguments that may never have suffered resolution. It’s created peace.

“I’m sorry” is so profound a statement that it not only eases our spirits when we hear it from someone who has wronged us; but, it also comforts us when we apologize to ourselves. When was the last time you told yourself that you were sorry? For not acknowledging your abilities and talents? For succumbing to fear, gossip, or negativity? For not enabling your potential? For not listening to your conscience? For not respecting yourself? For not being AUTHENTIC? (ßreal talk.)

Let’s make this interactive. Today check me out on Twitter @ www.twitter.com/envyoftheworld. Within your realm of comfort, tell me some of the people or situations or issues for which you wish to apologize. Start with yourself first. For instance, your message will go as follows:

“I’m sorry: 1. B/C I chose not to prepare for my tests. 2. B/C I underestimated the parentals & their awesomeness. 3. B/C I haven’t accomplished as much recreational reading as I know I have time to accomplish.”

Now, if you don’t Tweet, please feel free to leave a comment in the same format. However you choose to participate or if not at all, please know that we are all entitled to an apology if someone harms us or if we harm ourselves. Take some time to apologize to yourself and to someone. And the next time you say “I’m sorry,” please realize the power you hold. It’s mighty.

Till next time…

Stay up. Stay real. Stay AUTHENTIC.

mic

No comments: