Monday, May 11, 2009

Mic On Monday: Mama, can you hear me?

Yesterday, May 10th, marked the first Mother’s Day under an African America/Black President of the United States. This new era of change and hope ushers in a host of questions and concern. On my heart yesterday, as I told my mother thank you for supporting me and loving and enabling my manhood and humanity, I meditated on the children that we’ve lost within the past few months whose mothers have to grapple with supporting their child against the wish of greater society or choosing to participate in the conformist thinking of fundamentalist America. It is really important to me that the work that I do and the energy that I place into the universe encourages the humanity in LGBTQ-SGL children in spite of the negativity that rests beyond our doorsteps and even in our homes. My prayer this Mother’s Day was that our mothers, fathers, and children can begin to fight for the sanctuary our humanity deserves so that no matter what, all of our lives will be lived in the most open and positive of lights. I want mother’s of non-heterosexual children to be able to say “I love my child. I am proud of my child. I support my child,” all without the worry of what our world will think or do to spoil such a proclamation.

 

Please add names to this list of children who cannot say “Happy Mother’s Day.” Please add names to this list of children whose mother’s will not hear “Happy Mother’s Day.” Please add names to this list so that we will not forget the work we must do to honor these innocent souls.

 

 

We begin here:

 

Jaheem Herrera

Carl Joseph Walker-Hoover

Lawrence King

 

 

mic

No comments: