Monday, December 29, 2008

Next Year's Stocking Stuffer

Hope you all enjoyed your various holiday celebrations. For me, the holiday season is a great time to check in with the parentals & get some feedback on life. There are always the usual questions that all parents ask: "How is your job? School? Have you met anyone? How is your mate? How are your finances?"

However, this year I was thrown a curve ball: "Are you happy?"

Huh? What? Peas & carrots?

After realizing that this was not a trick question & that my parents were serious, I was saddened. I couldn't answer the question with a confident 'Yes! I am happy.' I couldn't say no either. It frustrated me that this notion supposedly bestowed upon me by our nation's Founding Fathers (though the jury is still out as to whether or not I am included in that 'We the people') seemed so hard for me to readily locate in my life.

I immediately took a breath & took the most logical action: I did a quick recap of the Cosmo mag "Pillars of Happiness" quiz.

1. Friends: I love all my ho's.
2. Family: Sly & the Family Stone said it best: We are family!
3. Career: It's getting there...
4. Romantic Life: eh? Next question.
5. Health: Call me Fergie, 'cause 'I be up in the gym just workin' on my fitness...'

Four out of five isn't too bad. But am I happy? Cosmo didn't help. My happiness was still suspect, & maybe M.I.A.

I haven't given my parents a reply. I want to think this through. I want to know, be sure.

So, my plan for 2009 is to find my happiness. It has to be present because I smile. I laugh. I love. I write. I dance. I sing. I cry. I live.

Where is your happiness?

Find your happiness in 2009.

See you next year!

Just being authentic,
mic

2 comments:

Kholi said...

mikey! we soooo need your pic!

this post is precious!

Anonymous said...

Thanks...What kind of pic do you need?